Saturday 18 September 2010

O Judgment! Thou Art Fled To Brutish Beasts, And Men Have Lost Their Reason.

Friends, Maharashtrians, countrymen, lend me your ears;
I come to bury Shivaji, not to praise him.
The evil that men do lives after them;
The good is oft interred with their bones;
So let it be with Shivaji. The noble Thackeray
Hath told you Shivaji was ambitious:
If it were so, it was a grievous fault,
And grievously hath Shivaji answer'd it.
Here, under leave of Thackeray and the rest--
For Thackeray is an honourable man;
So are they all, all honourable men--
Come I to speak in Shivaji's funeral.

He was our friend, faithful and just to us:
But Thackeray says he was ambitious;
And Thackeray is an honourable man.
He (Shivaji) hath brought many values home to Maharashtra
Whose virtues did the general culture fill:
Did this in Shivaji seem ambitious?
When that the poor have cried, Shivaji hath wept:
Ambition should be made of sterner stuff:
Yet Thackeray says he was ambitious;
And Thackeray is an honourable man.
You all did see a long time ago
They (thrice) presented him a godly throne,
Which he did (thrice) refuse: was this ambition?
Yet Thackeray says he was ambitious;
And, sure, he is an honourable man.
I speak not to disprove what Thackeray spoke,
But here I am to speak what I do know.
You all did love him once, not without cause:
What cause withholds you then, to mourn for him?

http://origin-indiatoday.intoday.in/site/video_page.jsp?vid=112899&secid=42&page=2&display=null








O judgment! thou art fled to brutish beasts,
And men have lost their reason. Bear with me;
My heart is in the coffin there with Shivaji,
And I must pause till it come back to m
E

2 comments: